I'm an associate professor of engineering in computer science, at the Department of Computer, control, and management engineering, DIAG, Sapienza University of Rome.
I've also got a Ph.D. in Computer Science, at University "La Sapienza", in 1992.
I teach programming techniques and programming of the Web, for undergaduate Computer Engineering courses.
My research interests are in Technology Enhanced Learning, and in particular in Student and Teacher Modeling, Adaptive e-learning, Data Mining and Artificial Intelligence Techniques to Select and Personalize Learning Content, Social and Collaborative Learning, Game Based Learning, Automated and Peer Assessment.
I've been research unit coordinator and/or work-package leader in some international projects:
- EuroCompetence, Socrates Proj.56544-CP-1-98-1, 2000-2002; (research unit coordinator and WP-leader)
- CIOC, NFU Proj.18, 2001 (one result is Basic object-oriented programming with Java (research unit coordinator)
- mENU Project (2003-2005), e-learning Proj.2002--0510/001--001; ((research unit coordinator and WP-leader))
- QUIS Project (2005-2007), e-learning Proj.2004-3538/001-001; (research unit coordinator and WP-leader)
- UnderstandIT, Dec 2010 - Dec 2012, Leonardo Da Vinci Transfer of Innovation - Lifelong Learning Programme, 2010-1-NO1-LEO05-01839; (research unit coordinator)
- ELF, 511669-LLP-1-2010-1-IT-KA3-KA3MP-ELF, Jan 2011 - Dec 2013, Lifelong Learning Programme, EAC/41/39, KA3 ICT; (researcher and work-package leader)
- 9Conversations: Network building for self-employment of refugees”, Key Action 2: Strategic Partnership Projects, n. 2018-1-NO01-KA204-038824 (2018-2021)
I was WP-leader in Project COMDIG (FILAS, REGIONE LAZIO, Progetti di R\&S with PMI Lazio, POR FESR Lazio 2007-2013 Asse 1 - Attivita' 1 - FILAS-CR-2011-1358, CUP F85C13001160007, 2013-2015).
I am in the Program Committee of several international conferences, such as BICA, CSEDU, DICTAP, ECSEL, E-Society, FIE, FIERCES on BICA, ICALT, ICCC, ICEDUTECH, ICPEC, ICSLE, ICWL, ITHET, ITS, Information Visualisation, Mis4TEL, SLATE, SLERD, SLET, UMAP, e anche di Workshops, come 3(IT), CSPRED, IMHE, INCOS-ALICE, SPEL, PRASAE, Webet, WebEd.
I am in the editorial board, o reviewer board, for several international journal, such as ACM Trans. on Intelligent Systems and Technology, , ACM Trans. on the Web, Computational Intelligence and Neuroscience, Computers and Education, Computers in Human Behavior, Frontiers in Computer Science, IEEE Access, IEEE MultiMedia, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, IEEE Trans. on Learning Technologies, IEEE Trans. on System, Man and Cybernetics Part A, IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems, International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, International Journal on Interaction Design & Architecture(s), International Journal on Distance Education Technology, Mobile Information Systems, Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, Soft COmputing, Studies in Educational Evaluation, Telematics and Informatics.
For IJDET (International Journal on Distance Education Technology), I am associate editor.
I am also in the Organization Committee of workshops IEETEL e LA@IV.
In 2016, I was Conference co-Chair of the 15th Int. Conf. on Web-based Learning (ICWL), and organized it in Rome. In 2018 and 2019 I was "paper Chair" for the international conference MIS4TEL. In 2019 I was Technical Program co-Chair for the international conference ICWL. In 2019 I was Workshop co-Chair for the international conference SETE. In 2020 I was Technical Program co-Chair for the international conference Mis4TEL.
- Technology Enhanced Learning
- Student Modeling;
- Adaptive e-learning;
- Data Mining and Artificial Intelligence Techniques to Select and Personalize Learning Content
- Social and Collaborative Learning;
- Teacher Modeling in a social teaching environment
- Game Based Learning and Gamification;
- Automated Assessment;
- Peer Assessment.
keywords: TEL, Student Model, Adaptive e-learning, Learning Material Selection, Social Collaborative Learning, Teacher Model, Game Based Learning, Gamification, Assessment, Peer Assessment