Dipartimento di Ingegneria informatica, automatica e gestionale Antonio Ruberti - DIAG
Facoltà di Ingegneria dell'Informazione, Informatica e Statistica
Sapienza Università di Roma
Via Ariosto 25, 00185 Roma, Italy
email: deluca [at] diag [dot] uniroma1 [dot] it (or a [dot] deluca [at] uniroma1 [dot] it)
room A-210, tel +39 06 77274 052, fax +39 06 77274 033
Institutional homepage at my department
ISI-WoK ResearcherID: F-3835-2011; Scopus Author ID#: 7201948195; Google Scholar: my citations
- I am the General Chair of I-RIM 2019, the First Italian Conference on Robotics and Intelligent Machines, organized by the Istituto di Robotica e Macchine Intelligenti (I-RIM), a non-profit organization of national stakeholders in robotics and intelligent machines. The conference is part of a Three Day (3D) event to be held in Roma, October 18-20, 2019, at the Fiera di Roma, Pavillions 9 and 10 (in collaboration with Maker Faire - The European Edition 2019).
- At the last ICRA 2019 in Montreal in May, I have received the 2019 IEEE-RAS George Saridis Leadership Award in Robotics and Automation, with the following citation: "For contributions to the robotics and automation community through research innovation and education, and for leadership in publication and conference activities in RAS".
- Recent keynotes, invited talks, and presentations at workshops:
- Control of soft joint robots for safe physical HRI. Keynote speech at the Robotics: Science and Systems (RSS 2019) conference. Freiburg, June 24, 2019. Video of full speech available on the RSS YouTube channel (starting at 02:14:03).
- Advances in control of human-robot collaboration @DIAG. Invited talk at the Robotics Research Jam Sessions - Midsummer 2019. Pisa, June 19, 2019.
- Safe control of physical human-robot interaction. Invited talk at the IIT - Dynamic Interaction Control group. Genova, January 24, 2019. The pdf has links to all videos on YouTube.
- Flexible joint robots: Model-based control revisited. Invited talk at the Scientific Colloquium for the opening of the Munich School of Robotics and Machine Intelligence (MSRM) at TUM. Munich, October 26, 2018. Video of full talk available.
- Experiences with a control architecture enabling safe human-robot collaboration. IROS 2018 Workshop on Robot Safety: Filling the Gap Between Technology Offer and Industry Needs for a Fully Deployable Human Robot Collaboration. Madrid, October 5, 2018.
- A review on the control of flexible joint manipulators. IROS 2018 Workshop on Soft Robotic Modeling and Control: Bringing Together Articulated Soft Robots and Soft-Bodied Robots. Madrid, October 5, 2018.
- A control architecture for human-robot collaboration. Keynote lecture at the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2015). Seattle, May 29, 2015. Video of full lecture available. The 30 min lecture was kindly introduced by my colleague and dear friend Seth Hutchinson, now moved to Georgia Tech and President-Elect of IEEE RAS!
- I became a Senior Research Fellow of the Sapienza School of Advanced Studies (SSAS) in the academic class of Science and Technology at the end of 2017. Together with my colleague Luca Scuccimarra, we have coordinated the 2018/19 interdisciplinary course of the School: Homo Faber: Past, Present and Future. 15 lectures have been delivered by national and international experts, focusing on complementary aspects of the social and ethical impact of automation and digital tranformation on our lives, on the relation between humankind, machines and work, on how human knowledge is represented and has been transmitted from the past to the future, and on the boundaries between mind, perception and the physical world. Videos of all lectures, lecture slides, and additional materials are available on the moodle e-learning platform of Sapienza.
- On January 9, 2018, a surprise workshop was organized at DIAG for my (past) 60th birthday. See the program leaflet, the poster, and the nice memories at ADL Festschrift. Thanks a lot to the dear organizers, and to all my close colleagues and friends who came from everywhere!
- I have been the Program Chair of ICRA 2016, together with my colleague Antonio Bicchi. This flagship conference of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society (RAS) was succesfully held in Stockholm, May 16-21, 2016. For the first time, we handled also the evaluation for possible presentation at the conference of papers submitted to the new IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters.
- During the first semester of the academic year 2014/15, the full set of lectures of my Robotics 1 course has been video recorded, as a first experiment at the department level. The 30 video lectures are available in the Robotics 1 playlist of the Video DIAG - Sapienza YouTube channel (there is also a 3 min summary of contents). Please note that these are traditional lectures with the use of multimedia material, but not prepared on purpose for online offering (differently from MOOC courses). More than 50K independent views as of August 2019.
- For those who often ask, the video lectures of my Robotics 2 course are not (yet) available. Most likely, in the second semester of the academic year 2019/20...
Coordinator of the European IP project
SAPHARI (FP7-ICT-2011-7, #287513)
Safe and Autonomous Physical Human-Aware Robot Interaction (2011-2015)
SAPHARI is over, but our research journey through safe pHRI goes on!
Look here for a summary of the project results
A 15-minute presentation of the project
at CogSys 2012, Vienna (February 23, 2012)
- Master of Science in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics
- Master of Science in Control Engineering (Director)
- Office hours for students: see Teaching top menu